Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Happy Thanksgiving

This is where I spend my Thanksgiving every year since 2006. It's my home away from home, my parent's house. This is also where Rakiem proposed to me, Thanksgiving 2006. Although this is really Olivia's second Thanksgiving, it's the first time that she's able to part take part in the eatings and other festivities.

This was Olivia's first time visiting Grandma and Grandpa's home,  and she had an amazing time running around and exploring her new surroundings. My dad stayed up late with her a few nights just to play and spend quality time with her. My mom made her a very comforting pot of cornmeal porridge or oatmeal porridge every morning.


On thanksgiving morning, my Dad went into his garden and picked some of his finest crops, including the delicious collard greens. (That's my mom in the background cooking a big ol' pot of cornmeal porridge for Olivia.) My Dad has a pretty elaborate farm behind that house, He's got sweet potatoes, collard greens, peppers, cabbage, rosemary, and much more.

Olivia sat in the living room and played with her Lego's until her breakfast was ready. She hung out around the kitchen all day and pretty much tasted everything before Thanksgiving dinner was ready. 

Here's a shot of everyone getting busy in the kitchen. Dad's prepping food, Mom is cooling down that porridge, Lisa's laughing at jokes, and Livy's just waiting for her food!

After all the cooking was done, we sat down to a lovely meal that everyone contributed to. It was so much fun, and I was so thankful to be able to share this day with loved ones.

Our Thanksgiving Menu:
Oven Roasted Turkey
Baked Ham
Fried Chicken
Sweet Potato Casserole
Garden Salad
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Steamed String Beans
Collard Greens
Fried Tilapia
Bulgar Wheat & Peas
Red Wine
White Wine
Egg Nog
Apple Pie
Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato Casserole from the Garden

Garden Salad

Fried Chicken

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Steamed String Beans

Collard Greens from the Garden

Fried Tilapia

Baked Ham
Olivia sat in my brothers lap for dinner, and munched on her dinner right out of her own plate. She had a few bites and then she ran off to play.

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, and wishing you Happy Holidays to come! From my family to yours.






2 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful family! Btw...I instantly got hungry looking at all that food!
    (Keva Zeigler frm BloggyMom's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog with great content. I saw you from Bloggy moms keep the numbers up. I just followed your blog and I'm hoping you'll like my blog and follow too. thanks


    http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...