Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Olivia's Chicken & Cheesy Potato Stew

Here/s what I promised, my rendition of Beech-Nut's Chicken and Cheesy Potato Homestyle dinner.

First I started off with creating my own chicken broth from scratch the night before. I always save chicken parts and stick them in the freezer; the wing tips, the breast bone, and the back bone. I find these boney parts to have the most flavor.

water,  chicken, onions, celery, carrots, and thyme.

I love my Emerilware Pro-Clad cookware.



Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced potato
  • 1/2 medium onion diced
  • 5oz chicken breast
  • 2 tbsp extra vigin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup romano cheese
Directions:

Take one large carrot, peel, wash and dice it into 1/4" cubes or smaller.



Take one medium size potato, wash, peel and dice into 1/4" cubes or smaller.



 Take half of a medium sized onion, and dice.


Take on chicken breast, and remove skin, fat, and bones.

After cleaning, fillet one 5oz piece for recipe and put the rest away.
Dice the breast into 1/2" or 1/4" pieces.


Store the bone in the freezer for chicken broth.

Add about1 tablespoon of extra vigin olive oil to a pan, and add the diced onions

Sauté until the onions are slightly translucent.
Dump the onions into your stewing pot

Add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and add the chicken cubes to brown.


I used a bit of the homemade stock and tipped it into the pan to loosen the brown flavorful bits in the pan.

I didn't skim too much of the fat off the top of the broth. Usually the broth is clearer than this.


Combine everytign into the stewing pot, along with 2 cups or broth, turn the fire down low, and allow to simmer, for about 45 minutes, or until both carrots and potatoes are tender.


After 45 minutes to an hour, you should have a thick stew like consistency. Turn the fire off and add the shredded cheese.

 I added cheddar, because thats what I had on hand, but in the future I highly recommend that you use romano cheese, because it will not burn and stick to the bottom of the pot like the cheddar did

I allowed the stew to cool for about 20 minutes, and poured them into my 2oz baby cubes. This recipe made a 8 2oz servings which is perfect for me because Olivia will not eat more than 2oz at a time. I stored the cubes into the freezer to keep fresh. Remember, there are no preservatives, therefore you must freeze the food to keep it fresh.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. What a great tutorial and recipe! I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share your recipe!

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...