Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Mother and My Daughter

I gave birth to Olivia 1 day after my sister's 40th birthday.
That means a lot to me because this means that my mother was in labor with her first child and experienced that same feelings as I did just 40 years ago, on the same day.

As you may already know, Olivia was born at home, yes on purpose. (I'll do a nice long post about the wonderful home birth experience real soon.) My mom flew into town just a few days before Olivia's birth and made it very clear that she didnt want to be there for the birth because she didnt want to see me in pain. I can totally understand that. But she ended up being there anyway.

Athough she wasnt in the bedroom as I birthed my daughter, she was just a few feet away in another room, crying and praying for a healthy delivery. Even though she wasnt in the same room, I truly felt the love and support from my mom, and was very happy that she was present. I was so happy to yell out "Mommy, come and see your grand daughter" just moments after I delivered Olivia (and the placenta).
My mom came peeking into the room, she walked over, looked at Olivia, then she looked at me. She held Olivia for a few seconds, and left the room again. I think mom was still a bit nervous, but she said she just didnt want to get in the way.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely picture Dana. Grandma and Granddaughter....they look to be in such peace - such a precious moment captured... awwwwww!!!

    Also what a lovely gift to Auntie Lisa and the dates are truly wonderful. GOD plans every detail of our lives out PERFECTLY...OLIVIA was right on time!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...